Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Don't pretend you didn't hear me, you ginger slag.....

(imagine Kim and I yelling this at each other on the streets of London in horrible fake cockney accents, and it'll be half as funny as it actually was at the time).....we heard these awful, trashy 13 year olds saying stuff like that to each other. And we though Americans were the White Trash Champions.

So I'm aware I haven't written a blog in a quite a long time. And while it would seem that now is the opportune time to update you all, on our goings-on, I couldn't be arsed. Ok, well, I'll do a little one. But only because I know you're all gagging for it.

Berlin. Lots of sleeping. I mean lots of it. We were lucky enough that of the 4 nights we were there, we only had roommates for the first night, and that meant that the last three, we were alone in a six bed dorm. Ideal conditions for Kim to start on a mental exercise (I mean mental as in crazy, not intellectual) regime to decrease her perceived girth expansion - so while she was lying on the floor doing sit-ups (trying, anyway), I figured it was so cold that I needed an extra layer of padding to protect myself, so I lay in bed eating Ritter cornflake chocolate (THE BEST). After this, there was lots 0' sightseeing, in the form of the Berlin Wall - what's left of it, anyway - Brandenburg Gate, the Reichstag, Checkpoint Charlie, and almost every Starbucks and bookstore in town. For the record, I've bought no less than 10 books throughout this trip. I don't regret any of these purchases, but it's starting to get hefty......and expensive. Whoops.

Anyway, loved Berlin. It was relaxing, and Melbourney, and mucho historical. When it came time to leave, I managed to shove my cornflake-chocolate enhanced bottom into my jeans, we heaved on our 17 kilo backpacks, and shuffled off to the train station to get to the airport. Now, I don't want to say that we left it to the last minute, but, well....we did. We left with a little over an hour to get to the airport. And I mean a little over an hour till our plane LEFT. After 40 minutes on the train, I had accepted that we were going to miss our flight, and was mentally planning alternatives, when we pulled into the station, and adrenaline kicked in. I know adrenaline usually occurs in emergency situations, but missing a plane is about as emergencyish as we get, so I made the most of it. With trembling legs and aching backs, we speedwalked to across the concourse, with me yelling at Kim to hurry up, and her shuffling along behind me, bursting into a jog-shuffle when necessary. We got to check in just as it was closing, checked in, hopped on the plane, and that's the end of that uninteresting tale.

Then came London. Once we got off the plane, caught a bus and two trains, we settled in at the Piccadilly Backpackers (once thought to be a pretty great hostel, not so much anymore) and went off to meet the lovely Danny.

Our second London stop consisted of: movies, Starbucks, lettuce-leaves-instead-of-regular-buns-hamburgers, Buckingham palace, Hyde Park, Kensington Gardens, being hunted down by a squirrel army (ask me about it when I get home, it's still too traumatic), Abbey Road, Chicago, the Tower of London, St Pauls Cathedral, another movie (the new Bond is AWESOME), more chocolate (coffee-flavoured this time), and more sleeping. It was a great week, led by Dan-gerous, who always ends up where he meant to be, even if he ends up there by accident, with lots of photos and more souvenirs than I meant to acquire (a.k.a I spent way too much money).

Got to Hong Kong last night, had a massive sleep in, and now we're shopping. Well, obviously we're not shopping now, but we will be in a minute.

Ok, so that's all for now. I'll see you all in a few days, you'll forget you missed me and wish I'd go away again. Just like old times.



No comments: